What are the top five things counsellors need to know to help people quit smoking?
- Quitting is a process, not an event.
- Quitting occurs within the context of a relationship in which you and the smoker can trust each other and enhance motivation to quit.
- The use of medication roughly doubles the chances of smoking cessation success and medication should be used as directed.
- Helping people make their homes and environments smoke free is a very critical part of the quitting process.
- The most important thing is to recognize that people who are coming in for smoking cessation have comorbidities, whether they’re psychosocial, psychiatric or physical.